Little C: The Sounds of Summer

Readers, before we get to the real subject of the post, I must inform/warn you all that Blink 182 will be releasing a deluxe version of their album California on May 19th. It includes eleven new songs, and as the original album was pretty much the only thing I listened to for months on end last year, you will undoubtedly be hearing about this in late May. Not even gonna pretend to be sorry.


As we mentioned many times, we've spent the last few days on a mini family vacation. We Disney-ed. We beached. We made much with the merry, and we're now exhausted in the way that a good vacation makes you feel. But this week has made me feel the first pangs of summer, which of course makes me want some good summer music. I'm one of those weird people who feels like certain music goes with certain seasons. I listen to a lot of classic rock and blues in the fall, heavy punk in the winter, acoustic singer/songwriter in the spring. But Summer is for music I don't have to feel on any sort of deep level. Give me pop punk, one hit wonders from the 90's, and nonsensical 60's groove music to go with the warm weather.

CT does not fully understand my Tom Jones affection

The same way that Summer movies tend to me more explode-y and less plot-y, summer music should be more about the feel than the content. With this in mind I have a list of things I need and things I cannot stand in my tunes for the next four months. Also, I realize that it's still very much spring, I also don't care. LA has been in a continuous downpour for months and I'm just so excited to see the sun again that I'm calling it summer as soon as possible. 

Things I Need From Music From Now Until August:
Major key structures
A steady beat
Lyrics about a parties/rock shows/girls or boys the singer finds cute
Weird experimental music tricks added to (enhance the groove)
Anything that will get stuck in my head/replace the song already stuck in my head
Key-tars
Anything by Cher

Things That Will Make Me Poke Holes In My Car Stereo Trying to Change the Station
Minor key structures
Whining about breakups in the lyrics
Country music that isn't Garth Brooks (It may be summer, but there are rules that don't change)
Drug metaphors
Acoustic breakdowns that are meant to add gravity but really just ruin the flow of the song
Careless Whisper (There's a time and place)
Anything by Sugar Ray (they fit almost flawlessly into the things I need category but they suck)

So there you have it. My car will be an oasis of sugary pop and simple guitar riffs for the foreseeable future. If anyone needs me I will be stuck in traffic on the PCH singing What's New Pussycat at the top of my lungs followed by a rousing rendition of Girl at the Rock Show where I use my entire dashboard as a drum kit.

Happy Listening
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts