Little C: Movie Crush Monday and Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Heeeeeeeey readers... I know I made it sound like we were gonna stop skipping posts. But I know that you know that especially in the summer time we desire adventure and broadened experience and places outside our home with air conditioning. Also our wonderful step mom is out this weekend for a trip and next week our mom comes out for her adventure. There are no punishments issued to either of us for skipping posts to spend time with our mammas. They raised us and fed and clothed us and neither one of them drowned us when we went through our dramatic teenage phases. They deserve our attention when they visit. "But Little C," you may ask. "If your mom is still in town how are you writing your post?" Great question, hypothetical reader. CT and Nicko went to the gym and I cannot speak in complete sentences before my second cup of coffee so a marathon workout session was pretty much out of the question. Instead I am staying home and sitting directly under the ceiling fan so I can talk to you about Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. (following the singular Helen Mirren to get here)

sourced from IMDB

Our father, when we were growing up, helped us gently on our journey to becoming giant fucking nerds in small part by exposing us to a lot of British TV. This included the original TV series of Hitchhiker's that was made in the 80s. It was weird and the humor was very faithful to the book (which I read in high school while I was supposed to be reading The Sun Also Rises because fuck that book) so when this movie came out I will admit to being one of those obnoxious purists that rolled their eyes and decried it's inability to fit into a two hour running time all of the adventures and content that the TV show did over it's 8 year run. It was part of the obnoxious teenage behavior that would have left Nicko justifiable in her urge to smother me in my sleep. But her mercy provided me with enough time to grow the fuck up and rewatch this movie as an adult... And damnit it's funny and charming and tells a cohesive story. 15 year old me could be a real dick sometimes, and because of that she missed out. 

source IMDB

Reading one of Douglas Adams other books made me really want to reread Hitchhiker's but while I searched for a copy I found the movie and put it on. Man, I forget every time just how many really cool actors this film had. From baby Martin Freeman and Alan Rickman who plays a clinically depressed robot, to Yasiin Bey who is just so damn charming as Ford that I want to grab a towel and go on space adventures with him. The cast was perfect. 

And that's before we even got to John Malkovich
source IMDB
The humor in this movie is very British which means that sometimes the events feel a little random just because the randomness is funny. For instance, a giant whale materializes thousands of feet above the ground and we hear his inner monologue as he plunges to his death. And that's just one of many examples of the weird way that this film finds humor. But because humor is subjective and personal I'm going to do something I don't normally do. I'm gonna tell you that if you haven't seen the movie or read the book then watch the trailer first. If you get a giggle from it, then watch the movie. If not move on to something that does make you laugh. God knows we all need it these days. 

Happy Watching,
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts