CT: Holiday Binge Time

No, readers, I haven't seen Star Wars yet. I've basically given up on the internet to protect myself from spoilers. It's just me and my Poe Dameron funko, counting down the hours until I'm finally sitting in that theater. Hopefully we're seeing it in the next day or so... she said, curling up in a blanket and rolling herself under the bed.

So until I can gush about The Last Jedi, I thought we'd talk instead about a good old holiday binge. I do this every year, make a list of the things I plan to read, watch, listen to on my holiday break. This year is no different. I've been making this list mentally for a few weeks, and I thought this would be a good time to write it all down.

One quick note: Little C and I talked it over and we're not taking our usual holiday break this year. Between scheduling our posts and prepping ahead of time, we'll have content set for the next few weeks before we leave town. You can also look forward to our annual Top Ten list at the new year.

Okay so on to the list!

Artemis - Andy Weir
Image Source
I've heard good and bad about Andy Weir's new novel, but to be honest I liked The Martian so much that I'd give Artemis a chance no matter how bad the reviews were. What I love about Weir is the work he does in building out his worlds, how detailed he gets in the practicality of how things function. And a heist story set on a moon colony? Sign. Me. Up.

The Crown - Season 2
Image from IMDb
I absolutely loved the first season of The Crown. The writing, the acting, the cinematography, the costuming- every individual element is gorgeous and they fit together into one of the best shows I've ever seen. Claire Foy is absolutely brilliant as the queen- one of the best performances on television. I can't wait to see what they do with the second season.

Dark - Season 1 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5753856/mediaviewer/rm3405404416
This German series has been sitting in my Netflix queue for weeks now and I've almost hit play about a dozen times. But we've been so busy with a few projects that I didn't feel like I could devote the attention to it that it seems to deserve. I've heard excellent things about this weird, dark show and I think the holiday break will be a great time to give it a shot.

The Broken Earth Trilogy - N.K. Jemison
Image Source
I read the first book in this series, The Fifth Season, for book club last month and fell in love. It's a fascinating take on an apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic society. It's far-future, it's fantasy, it's sci-fi. More than anything it just felt different from anything else I've read. I just got the second book in from the library so I'm set to go for vacation.

I know, I know, it's an ambitious list. But I have two long flights, very few plans for my time at home, and a high motivation to get some readin'/watchin' in.

Happy vacationing!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts