Little C: Oh Captain My Captain

Guys I have a confession to make. It's a big one. It's also nerdy AF so for those of you feeling inclined to judge, just go ahead and skip this post. There is a question that is sort of The Question among Star Trek fans. Who is your favorite Captain? It's where friendships are formed or broken. Picard fans think Kirk fans are outdated. Janeway fans think that everyone else are jerks. Blood has been shed over this. Many deaths. I have been a Picard girl for a long time. He's sophisticated, he's measured, he's played by a goddamn international treasure. I heart Spock and Uhura but Kirk and his slightly womanizing ways always bugged. My Dad loves Kirk. Old school Shatner Kirk, not dreamy Chris Pine Kirk. Dad says "He cheated his way out of more problems than all the others combined." He has a point, and normally a rule breaker that is sometimes Chris Pine would have my heart and a large puddle of my drool but... Well...

source
This man ruined my life
I am fully caught up on Star Trek: Discovery and there haven't been new episodes for a few weeks so I found myself trolling through some fan videos on YouTube (because when I fall into a fandom I fall all the way) and I realized something about myself. My loyalties, after 26 years are starting to shift. I still love Jean Luc Picard... but given the choice I would rather serve with Gabriel Lorca. Don't get me wrong, especially in the first few episodes he's not a good guy. He's sort of cold and he fumbles with his captaincy when he first gets it but hear me out on this. He's not friendly, because he's not on that ship to be anyone's friend. He is meant to be leading the crew and while he admittedly makes some mistakes it can mostly be attributed to the fact that he just got command and he's still learning how to handle his job. By the midseason finale it's clear that Lorca is definitely flawed, but he's doing everything he can with incredibly difficult circumstances.

source
Pictured: Rainn Wilson as Difficult Circumstances

The first season is not over yet, and I for sure have some problems with this particular interpretation of the Star Trek verse. But to be fair I have some issues with parts of the original series as well... *ducks to avoid tomatoes thrown by angry Trekkies* I spent most of the first half of the season worried about where they were going with the show, and thinking that those worries meant that I wasn't enjoying it. Because I seem to have forgotten the stages I go through when I'm getting attached to a TV show, the biggest being stage 3: Try To Convince Yourself That The Show Doesn't Mean Anything To You. It's a fun stage that eventually leads to stage 4: Allow The Show To Completely Consume Every Thought You Have. I don't think I'm there yet, but if anyone finds any good fan vids on Youtube, let me know. Or don't. Whatever. It's fine. No YOU have "I heart Lorca" doodled ON YOUR trapper-keeper!!!

source
He looks so noble in his chair...

Oh My Captain!
Little C

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts