Movie Crush Monday: Little C and Psych: The Movie

Readers, this is my final holiday themed movie crush post, and I just could not be more excited to share this weeks movie with you. Gather round, and everybody bring their mug of hot cocoa. It's story time!

Long ago in the magical world of Los Angeles, baby writers CT and Little C were trying to wrap their innocent minds around the idea of writing a TV "spec" episode. Nailing another writers voice is tricky, especially when you're still developing your own. To really get into the heart of writing for another person's show, I cannot recommend more that you start with a show that you love and have watched dozens of times. For CT and I that meant writing a spec episode of Psych. We loved every goofy, weird, homage-filled episode of this show and we miss it every day. So the announcement at the beginning of this year that they were bringing the entire cast back together for a TV movie was a true bright spot. And then on top of it all, the movie is a Christmas movie. The Psych Christmas episodes were phenomenal.

source

The movie finally arrived December 7th, and we have since watched it maybe a half a dozen times. There is nothing not to like about it. The bad guy is played by Zachary Levi in a spectacularly bad blonde dye job and British accent, the Timothy Omundson cameo was perfect and heartbreaking, at one point Shawn has a dream where he sings Allison Road with Jimmi Simpson. CT and I watched it the first time and the only thing we could say in between bouts of giggles was "Damn I miss this show!" 

source

Yes, I know that this is my second non-traditional pick for the Holiday movie crush month. What can I say? I'm a non-traditionalist. But I would argue that this movie which is about friendship and appreciating the ones you love more encapsulates the deeper meanings of this time of the year than, say, a movie like White Christmas which is mostly about showgirls and rivalries that ruin everyone's lives. Give me Shawn and Gus and Juliet over any cheesy Irving Berlin number except maybe the firecracker dance from Holiday Inn... Which Christy will discuss with you in next weeks installment. 

Happy Watching (On the USA app or amazon)
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts