Movie Crush Monday: CT & The Muppet Christmas Carol

Happy Monday, readers!

I'm continuing our holiday special Movie Crush Monday month this week, my friends. And I can't tell you how super duper excited I am to talk about this movie that has been a holiday staple in our house since I can remember.

Image from IMDb
First of all, this is my favorite Muppet movie of all time. There's something sort of magical about the way the humans and the muppets interact. It's not humans living in a muppet world, it's not muppets living in a human world. It's this beautiful blend of humans and muppets living in harmony. Which might actually be the cheesiest thing I've ever written but hey, it's the holidays and if you can't be cheesey at the holidays what are you even doing with your life?

Image from IMDb
The film is a really loose approximation of Dicken's A Christmas Carol, with Michael Caine in the lead. Michael Caine, one of the greatest actors that ever lived, and he shares his scenes unblinkingly with a muppet frog. In fact, him as Scrooge shouting at Kermit (playing Bob Cratchit, of course) is one of my favorite bits of acting that I've ever scene. Full stop. And there's a scene towards the end that brings me to tears every single time. Michael Caine brings his A game to this sort of ridiculous movie and the result is a thing of beauty.

Image from IMDb
Gonzo and Rizzo the Rat narrate the whole thing, bringing bits of comic relief that update the story really really well. They're hilarious. I'm pretty sure I spent the better part of my childhood screaming "Light the lamp not the rat! Light the lamp not the rat!" and cracking myself up at inappropriate times. Again, I was an odd kid.

The truly magical thing about A Muppet Christmas Carol is the music. The soundtrack to this film is one of my all time holiday favorites. These are truly gorgeous songs. Ask my sisters, because I've been singing "One More Sleep Til Christmas" for weeks.


If you haven't seen it, this is really a holiday treasure, readers!
Happy Watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts