Movie Crush Monday(ish): CT & Much Ado About Nothing

Okay, guys, for real. I'm the worst. I know that it's Tuesday. I have zero excuse for the fact that my Movie Crush Monday post is just now going up. Let let me offer you this as penance:

What kind of movie could give you Kenneth Branagh squawking like a dying pigeon? The only answer to that is the best kind.

Little C and I are hard-core Shakespeare nerds (step back, boys, you'll have to form an orderly line to compete for our affections), and Much Ado About Nothing has been a favorite at our home for as long as I can remember. Believe me, we love the Joss Whedon version too, but this is just a hands-down classic.

Let's start at the top. Kenneth Branagh directs and stars in this version of Much Ado, along with an insane cast that includes Emma Thompson, Denzel Washington, Kate Beckinsale, Michael Keaton, and my childhood/adulthood crush, Robert Sean Leonard. Basically a who's who of amazing actors. Even Keanu Reeves jumps in on the action, and I just can't hate him as the brooding and miserable Don John.

Sometimes Shakespeare can be a little hard to digest, and I think there's a temptation to water it down, especially with a play as complicated as this one. However, I think that Branagh really captures the humor of Much Ado, while letting the emotions all play out realistically. I can be laughing out loud at Dogberry one minute, then feel like my heart has been ripped out with Hero the next.

But what plays the very best in this version of the film is the relationship between Benedick and Beatrice. Beatrice is probably my favorite character in any Shakespeare play, and it's really wonderful to watch her come to life through the genius of Emma Thompson. She's not perfect, but she's also not at all willing to settle. I think part of the chemistry between the two characters can be attributed to the fact that Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh were married at the time that they were making the movie, but also they're just plain incredible actors. They really capture the way that these two characters fight/embrace their feelings for one another.

So, if you're in the mood for some rollicking Shakespearean fun, check this one out. There's singing, there's intrigue, there's a killer love story. What else could you want?

Much Peace,
CT

Comments

Popular Posts