Little C: Galavant Returns!

Welcome back everybody. CT and I got into town last night so we are still very much trying to adjust to life back in the land of warmth and moisture. (It was at times -22 degrees back home and both Christy and I had chapped lips by the time we stepped off the plane in DIA) We got a good night's sleep in our own beds with our slightly disgruntled catsand we are ready to get back to work.

Except mentally I'm still on vacation and really what I'd like to do is spend a few days napping. As that doesn't seem to be on offer, I've chosen to try to push myself forward by focusing on all the amazing things that 2016 will bring us.

I'd like to discuss one of those things here today. Last year there was this new trend in TV where networks put out these little mini-shows that had shorter seasons to bridge the gap between the winter finales and the spring starts. Most of them were crap because any time a brand new format of TV comes out it stumbles for a while until it finds a rhythm. The major exception to the rule as far as I'm concerned is Galavant. 

This was probably the weirdest concept piece that any network has tried in a long time. It was a collection of 8 half hour episodes that told the story of a disgraced knight trying to win back his princess. Only it wasn't really because the whole thing was completely self aware and also a musical...


No really, the whole series is set to songs written by Alan Menken who you might recognize as the genius behind everything that Disney put out from 1980-2000. So the songs were catchy and clever and because the characters were not cartoons, they were allowed to have a little more of an edge. Listen to this one which played at the beginning of the second episode to catch you up on the events of the story. 


They made a rhyme around "Leaning pretty sharply bitch-ward"

To even contemplate making something like this you have to have a cast who can both sing and effortlessly fall into slap stick humor. I would have been worried but they cast Timothy Omundson (who some of you know as Lassie from Psych) as the evil king. It's perhaps my favorite character from TV. Add in a stellar cast of regulars and some of the best guest appearances of all time and I cannot believe no one freakin watched this show. It got lukewarm ratings at best and barely got renewed. Most shows would strive to forget that. But this show laughs at the fourth wall and then dances across it. The promo they just released for season 2 mentions their low ratings and lack of awards as well as giving a shout out to the vaious plot lines. They even can can dance to the line "There's still no reason why we burst into song." I. LOVE. THIS. SHOW. I'm leaving the full promo for the show (complete with bouncing ball lyrics at the bottom) at the end of this post, but expect me to talk you ear off about it from the time it airs to the end of my life. 

Happy Watching
Little C 




Comments

Popular Posts