Little C: When the World Gets Tough, Become a Hippie

Hey readers.
It's been a rough few months news-wise. It's easy to be bogged down in the violent attacks and the rantings of the ginger wanna-be Voledmort. I can't handle another Trump story, it's making me furious every time I see a comb over.

Even when it's funny, it makes me hulk out with rage

So I go back to what my hippie parents taught me, I'm finding some protest songs to help me feel a little less like the world is headed for some sort of V for Vendetta dystopian future. Now most people think of the 60s when they think of protest songs, but thanks to the wonder that is the punk community we always have a group of people who are pissed at what the government is doing. Bless thee, punk rockers. Thou hast saved mine sanity. Or, ya know, whatever. 

Dispatch- The General


This song is inches away from being something that was played at Woodstock. It's a ballad in the old school "tells a story" sense of the words and it makes a point about the price individuals pay for war. So of course Christy and I learned to play it on our guitars and harmonize together. Cannot emphasize enough that we were raised by hippies. 

Frank Turner- Something of Freedom


This is so much an updated version of a Bob Dylan song that it hurts in the best possible way. But instead of talking about the issues facing the generation of the 60s it talks about my generation and their mixed up sense of entitlement and indignant outrage. Plus it's Frank Turner so I would love it even if he was singing about cotton candy and sweat pants. 

Green Day- 21 Guns



So most people think of American Idiot when they think of Green Day being political, and with good reason. That album was the shit. But then they made a musical (Using this song off the album 21st Century Breakdown) and seeing it live, this song was a true highlight. 

Prayer of the Refugee- Rise Against


Considering this was a song released in 2006, it feels more timely than ever. Such is the genius of Tim McIlrath, the magical husky-eyed wonder that manages to be both more poetic and more political than anyone else in punk. But also I'm a little worried that he also had a song called Drones on that album and maybe he's some sort of modern day Nostradamus. Fear him people, he knows all. 

I'm always open to new music, so if you have any other modern songs that would feel appropriate coming out of Peter Paul and Mary, lemme know. 

Happy listening you dirty hippies,
Little C


 


Comments

Popular Posts