Little C: Why We Hate Endings

Happy Wednesday, dear readers.

This is your obligatory reminder that the newest chapter of our book will be out later today at our Channillo page. Also on Channillo I've been reading a series called Hellbound by Christopher Waltz and it's just the kind of funny, weird, apocalyptic story I really enjoy.

Okay, we're done trying to sell you stuff now. At least for two weeks.

So CT and I have been watching Parks and Rec lately. I know, I'm late to the party, but I'm also stubborn enough that if more than about three people tell me I "have to" do anything I tend to not do it out of spite. So I missed out on the show while it was on but reluctantly a few weeks ago I let CT talk me in to starting season 2 with her. I'm now in season 4 and rapidly heading towards the last season. When I told this to Christy she sympathized and said she'd finished the whole final season in a few days. This shocked me, mostly because CT hates endings. It's excessively irritating to me, but she won't finish any TV show. While I binge with the goal of trying to get to the ending, Christy will stop a few episodes short every time. On one notable occasion she stopped a whole season before the end of the show...

It's been four years and she still doesn't know they ended with Robin being a cyborg

It drives me crazy because I can't discuss the ending of anything with her. Even when a new season is in the works like with say Daredevil or Sens8 she won't finish the first season until the second season is available. 

I have the opposite problem. I rushed through the entirety of Merlin knowing how it was going to end (Because the story of King Arthur ends the same way every time. It doesn't count as a spoiler alert if the ending hasn't changed in 1200 years) and then I was devastated and depressed for weeks after because these characters that I feel a deep connection with are gone. I push through towards endings so fast that I miss details because I know that when the show is over the only comfort I will find is by going back and rewatching episodes. 



The other problem comes with the ones that go on a little longer. Because almost invariably I've found that the last seasons of some of my favorite shows have been a disappointing because they lack the heart of the show I fell in love with. The last season of both Buffy and Gilmore Girls was certainly watchable but they both lacked the same spark that got me into the show. And then the ending feels like sort of limping across a finish line which hurts in a whole different way. 


So yes, I will be finishing Parks and Rec before the I go home for the Holidays. And if history has taught us anything, I will be crying through most of the ending. And then come January I will move on to the next show that I can dive in to for a few seasons. And CT can dive into for a few seasons minus an episode or two. 

Happy Watching,
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts