CT: Less is More

I've been working on this theory, readers. Stick with me here.

I'm all for the long form story. I mean, Cait and I write TV for pete's sake, and there's not much that more long form than that. Except that the whole point of television is to break that story up into smaller chunks, mini stories that fit inside the whole. So maybe it fits into my idea too. Aaaaaanyway.

The theory is that there is something powerful in the shorter forms of storytelling. Cait and I have been working on shorter form stories more and more this year, and I have to tell you, it's addicting. There's a way that short stories, short films, small bits of a character's life can get into you in a way that longer forms can't. Or maybe what I'm trying to say is that it's still super super hot in LA and I just plain old don't have the focus for anything long. It's definitely one of the two.

But there's nothing that fits the short form quite like horror. I think it's at least partially because with horror, the things your brain comes up with on its own is always going to be scarier than whatever they put up on screen. There's a short film from a few years ago that's one of my absolute favorite horror shorts, called Lights Out.

Yes, that one. They've adapted it into a full-length movie that comes out this summer, but I have to be honest, I'm really hesitant. I like the brevity of the original, the way it just feeds off of your instinctual fears. The movie (because they have to fill 90 additional minutes of story) has to add background to the characters, a motivation for the villain, and a way to kill it off. Which is fine, and the movie would normally even interest me. But I'm just not sure that I'm ready to let go of the short version of this story.

Ok, so that's the most amount of time that I can spend watching horror shorts. I have to pack, because Little C and I are headed to the wild wild West next week (Will Smith and giant spider not included).

But if I were to watch just oooooone more, any recommendations?

Happy Watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts