CT: Stranger Things

Readers, we're going to try something a little different today. Cait and I are, as I speak, watching the first episode of Netflix's new show, Stranger Things. We do a fair amount of reviewing TV around these parts but it's usually after we've seen a few episodes. This time, I'm giving you my first impressions, as we watch the pilot. So let's do this thing. 

Ok my first thought is that I'm obsessed with these kids. They're not your classically pretty Disney kids- they look like actual kids and they act like actual kids. Like kids I would have hung out with and played D&D with in school. Not that I played D&D. I was super cool... Aaaaaanyway. "Something's coming..." is literally the first line they say, and even though it's in the context of the D&D game, it sets one heck of a tone for the show. 

Right off the bat this show is nailing the 80's horror/sci-fi vibe. A lot of people have been saying it feels like ET and I'm inclined to agree, even though people comparing modern film/TV to classic Spielberg is one of my biggest pet peeves. Little C would like me to add that it's a lot closer to old Stephen King than ET, and she's 100% right there too. 

The other thing that's working so, so well for me is that they're holding back on showing you much of anything thing about what's going on here. This might be spoiler-ish (except not really because the episode is called The Vanishing of Will Byer) but when Will goes missing you get a little sound, a swinging light, and that's about it. It really pulls you into the mystery, and as the episode moves and you start to see more and more, the pacing of that information is just perfect. 

Side note: these kids can do startling good Australian accents. They're actually all impressive little actors. They balance the gravity of the situation with feeling like very real pre-teen boys who collapse into punching when necessary. I love them all. The further we get into the pilot the more I feel like they're very much going to carry this show. 

And then we get to the little girl who's escaped from whatever the deep, dark, scientific compound is. She. Is. Awesome. She is, for me, the last piece of the trifecta that will keep me watching this show to the last moment- some sort of big, dangerous mystery: check. Nerdy kids banding together to solve it using naught but their wits and their adorable, gigantic walkie talkies: check. Little girl with psychic powers: check check check. 

But also we're both rooting for whatever monster this is to eat Steve. That dude is the worst. 

Happy watching!
CT



Comments

Popular Posts