Little C: When You Aim To Misbehave

Welcome readers, and I hope you've all found ways to prepare yourselves for the upcoming holiday where tables full of relatives will sit down around a giant meal and bicker furiously about politics until someone cries. Yay holidays. This is your reminder that while your biggest obstacle is a distant relation who doesn't share your world view, there are hundreds of people sitting in a frozen field in North Dakota fighting to protect their homes and land. If you are looking for a way to help the Dakota Access Pipeline protesters please check out THIS WEBSITE to donate. I was trying to work in a snarky remark about the irony of celebrating Thanksgiving while we continue to abuse the rights of Native Americans but I just can't. This whole situation is appalling and heartbreaking.

Anyhoo, now that I have you all as depressed and melancholy as I've been, let me tell you how I plan to fix my crappy attitude. As my friends, family and I sit quietly finding small ways to protest and revolt against the government that's starting to form I've found myself drawn to music and TV shows that have a rebellious feel to them. For those of you looking for a few recommendations may I suggest:

The Musketeers

Oh guys, this damn show. The writers have deviated from the source novels in that they have made the Musketeer regiment the outcasts. They're not the King's private guard and they are constantly under threat of being disbanded. But they fight on anyway relying on their friends and their deeply ingrained sense of justice to lead them through every fight. Bonus points for having a brilliant, gorgeous cast in some of the most amazing costumes I've ever seen out of a TV show. 

Green Day

My deep, deep, abiding love for these punks goes back to grade school. But unlike the other bands I loved as 12 year old, Green Day have managed to constantly reinvent themselves and continue a conversation. When I felt like the only person in all of Wyoming that didn't like Bush, they released American Idiot and suddenly the whole country was singing along to a politically charged anthem that challenged the leader of the free world. And they were back at it this week when the performed at the AMA's and chanted "No Trump, No KKK, No fascist USA" in the middle of their song. As I find myself saying more and more, thank God for punk rock bands. 

Firefly


Talk about a story of rebellion. The main character of the show is a man who fought a rebellion and lost, but finds way in his new life to keep the fight going. The talented writing of Joss "The Boss" Whedon takes a space opera and adds a layer of political drama that is timeless enough that a decade after it aired, it was just as fresh and relevant as it's ever been. 

Alright, readers. I'm feeling better and ready to get back to my day. If you have suggestions for movies, TV, or music to add to the revolution playlist let me know. 

Little C


Comments

Popular Posts