Movie Crush Monday: CT & A New Hope

So sorry guys, there were a few technical difficulties yesterday so here is my Movie Crush Monday post. A day late, but what can we do...

GUYS. Guys guys guys guys guys. It's happened. Little C and I have been on a long, winding road through these Movie Crush posts, but she's finally done it. She did The Sandlot, which gave me James Earl Jones and now I can finally let my nerd flag fly and write about Star Wars: A New Hope.
Source

This is the one. THE geek film. Now, it's so so easy to pooh-pooh this movie. "The whole plot was stolen from (fill in whatever you think they stole the plot from)!", the nerds say. "It's flawed in aaaaaaaaaalllll these ways," they wail. Well I'm here to tell you, one nerd to another. It. Doesn't. Matter.
Source

It doesn't matter. The truth of things is that A New Hope revolutionized sci-fi/fantasy filmmaking forever. It was the first movie ever to make more than $300,000,000 and for better or for worse, that has changed both filmmaking and sci-fi/fantasy storytelling. Personally, I think it's for the better in a million different ways. It's changed the way the film industry sees sci-fi. It's made people take genre storytelling seriously, as a way to make millions of dollars, which has opened the doors for who knows how many other science fiction projects.
Source

So practicalities out of the way, the real point here is that A New Hope is just one of the coolest movies ever. The story has everything I love. The rebels standing up to the corrupt republic. The young fighter coming into his own power and becoming a warrior. The princess and the rogue. It's amazing, and every single time I watch it feel new and exciting and bold. Every time I watch A New Hope I'm right back to being that awkward fifteen-year-old fighting all the boys in my class with the lightsabers we bought at Target (which sounds like an endearing anecdote but is really an embarassing truth).

It's a classic for a reason! Happy Watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts