Movie Crush Monday: CT & The Replacements

Guys, I don't know about you but it has been one heck of a week. We're all still a bit of a mess around here. When I'm emotionally fragile, there's only one kind of movie that really works for me.

That's right, you heard me. This film nerd watches sports movies when she needs a bit of a cheer-up. So we're following the adorable Jon Favreau from Iron Man over to The Replacements, one of my absolute favorite football movies.

The Replacements is loosely based on the 1987 football strike. The professional players go on strike over their salaries, so the owners bring in a set of replacement players. But the problem is that all the "real" football players are already on teams, so the owners and coaches have to cobble together a team from misfits (some of whom have never played football).

Okay but let's talk about the real hero in this movie: Keanu Reeves. He plays the quarterback, a guy who's played before but flamed out quickly. And let's be honest here, I would watch Keanu Reeves do just about anything for two hours because my love for him runs deep, but he's especially charming in this movie. He manages to carry his frustrations and fears, while maintaining his ever-present boyish charm.

The rest of the cast is just as good. Don't get me wrong, readers, this is not a serious movie. It's not about it's cinematography, or the writing (although it has many of my favorite sports-movie lines), or the movie-making skill. It's a fun, somewhat inspiring movie about a group of misfits that work together to stick it to the greedy and hateful. And that's what we really need right now.

Happy watching, and be kind to each other,
CT

Comments

Popular Posts