CT: The Buried Giant

Friends, it's going to be a short one today. It's been a long, exhausting day for anyone with access to the internet/TV/news sources in general and quite frankly I'm ready to smack the bejeezus out of the next person to mention the inauguration. Little C and I will be joining our older sister, our Roommate, our friends, and about 70,000 of our closest friends tomorrow at the Women's March LA, and getting ready for that has left me with about 3% of my brain power left.

So let's just talk about an awesome book for now, eh? Doesn't that sound like a nice little break from everything today?
Source

The book in question is Kazuo Ishiguro's The Buried Giant. I'm reading it for a book-club (sorry to jump the gun on discussion, Book Club Ladies!), and I am freaking obsessed.

I've read a couple of Ishiguro's other books (Never Let Me Go is haunting and gorgeous) and I love his style. It's a really recent release but it immediately feels like an ancient tale. He uses narration to make it feel like he's telling you the story, and every time that I sat down to read it felt like I was genuinely sitting around a fire hearing the story.

The other beautiful part of this book is the way Ishiguro paints the world. The book is set in Middle Ages England and immediately you get a sense for the folklore of that place and time. There's this idea of wild magic that sits right at the edge of the story from the very beginning. Ishiguro's characters talk about memory and their world, and as they explore we get to see more and more of the folklore. It never gets precious (which is my least favorite thing fantasy can do), and the world feels both like a fairytale, and  totally real all at the same time.

Fantasy-loving  readers, you should absolutely give this one a shot. It's a really gorgeous novel, and a quick read. I have a friend who's listening to the book on tape and he says it's just as great.

Happy reading!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts