CT: New Year, New Habits

Unpopular opinion: I really love our gym right after the New Year. Yes, it's packed full of people and I have to wait forever for the machine that I want, but there's an air of hope with all these people. They're trying to change something in their lives for the better. I can get behind it in a real way.

I don't really do New Year's resolutions, but I love the idea of taking the changing of years as an opportunity to change things up. Nothing drastic this year, readers. A girl can only chop off all her hair and dye it purple so many times.

Instead, this year I'm trying to simply replace some of my bad habits with good ones. For example: my random work schedule means that I'm often just eating whatever happens to be lying around. I made more than one meal out of popcorn and club soda in the weeks leading up to Christmas. So for the beginning of 2017, I've been on a kick with our older sister Coco to replace that with a few healthier habits: getting in some good workouts each week, cooking together, prepping meals in bulk so we don't have to scramble for food options.

Same thing with writing. When I'm stressed, writing is one of the first things to go. I get worried about page count or word count or is the structure exactly right and suddenly all the writing things go out of my head. So again, for the new year, I'm trying to write just a little bit each day. Just a little. And it doesn't even have to be good. But that means that I'm writing more, flexing those muscles, and it's easier each time I sit down.

A little more reading, a little more tidying up each day, a little more sleep each night. A little more structure. A little bit of good things here and there throughout my days that replace the not-so-good for me things. And you know what, gentle readers? It's working!

How's the new year treating you all?
CT

Comments

Popular Posts