Little C: Emerald City

It's a fine day readers, and not just because I've had the day off to read and drink my coffee and quietly obsess over my new favorite show. Guys I watched the new NBC show Emerald City this week and I'm in love. I immediately sat CT and our roommate Lex down to watch it. Cuz if I'm obsessed, everybody is gonna have to hear about it anyway and they might as well get obsessed too.


The visuals in this show are stunning, and it's no wonder considering who was in charge of them. CT has a huge nerd cinematography crush on Tarsem Singh (who directed all 10 episodes of Emerald City) and we've all seen his movie The Fall a dozen times. There's a similarity to the weird and fantastic locations of both stories and the intricate costumes. And oh boy readers, this is a show where every frame is beautiful and intentional. 


The story is a retelling of the Wizard of Oz, but instead of a scared teenage girl Dorothy is an adult nurse who is active in her adventure and played by Adria Arjorna. From her first scene she anchors this show with her charm and capability, making a character who's parallel to the Dorothy Gale we all grew up with but also fits into this new, more dangerous version of Oz. 


The other familiar characters have these wonderful twists at well. The Wizard is a tyrant, the Witch of the East is a drugged up madame, and the Scarecrow is a soldier with amnesia. The flying monkey is a steampunk robot thing that I cant think about without crying nerdy tears of joy. This show is everything I didn't know I wanted plus some of the most beautiful sets I've ever seen. I mean-


Emerald City plays on Fridays on NBC and it's up on Hulu for those like me who can't be bothered to do anything on a normal timetable and end up catching up on the weeks television at 3am on a Sunday...
Happy Watching
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts