Movie Crush Monday: Little C and Skinwalkers

Welcome to our first movie crush of the new year, readers. CT talked to you about one of her favorite horror films last week, so I wanted to tell you about another little horror movie that you might have missed. I'm following Julian Richings to Skinwalkers.

The plot of this movie is somewhat inconsequential. This 12 year old boy and his mom are on the run from a group of werewolf like monsters, one of whom is the boys father. This other group of people are trying to protect him because if the little boy goes darkside the world ends. Like I said, not as important as the world that this story takes place in. The skinwalkers (based on an old Native American myth) in this movie are sort of a big biker gang. They're painfully cool and lead by Jason Behr who you might recognize from Roswell or my favorite Buffy episode... Yes I watched this movie while I was career stalking someone because they showed up in an episode of Buffy. I regret nothing. 


The whole movie takes place in these backwoods towns and isolated areas that are just so damn American, and the whole movie takes its tone from the setting. The story of this town coming together to protect a kid, the scary strangers that come out of the woods, the showdown that takes place in an abandoned industrial factory. More than almost any other horror movie I've ever watched this movie feels like the culture of this country is embedded in it, informing it's characters and plot. I don't know how else to describe it, and I would post the trailer for you guys to get a taste of the movie but the trailer has an irritating voice over on it. I'm afraid it would put you off the movie. 


In terms of actual scare factor, this barely qualifies as a horror film. In terms of fun action scenes and cool movie monsters, this movie more than pulls its weight. In addition to Mr. Behr, Rohna Mitra and Elias Koteas round out the adult side of the cast with great performances. Kudos also to Matthew Knight for managing to hold his own with the adults around him. 

Happy watching
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts