CT: Give Us The Summer Shows!

Being into TV is a brutal cycle, readers. Little C and I are still in the weeds of Finale Season and all of the emotional turmoil it brings, and between Riverdale and Supernatural and Grey's Anatomy and The Flash we are filled with endless crying gifs worth of emotions.

But despite our many many many many emotions, it's time to pick ourselves up off the ground and start looking forward. Not to the many many many many months between right now and when we get to find out the fate of some beloved characters (stupid freaking summer hiatus), but to one of my favorite things of all time - Summertime TV.

Have I told you all how much I love summer? I thought when I was young that it was because I lived in a place that was a frozen wasteland 9 months out of the year, so summer was the time when I finally saw the sun and got to play outside without a parka. But now I live in gorgeous, sunny Los Angeles where it's practically summer year-round, and I still love all the summertime things. Especially Summer TV. And this year is going to be a doozy. Here are some of the premieres (or season premieres) that I'm most looking forward to this year:

Still Star-Crossed - May 29th, ABC
Image from IMDb
I feel like I've been looking forward to this show for years? At the very least it seems like this has been in holding at least since the fall. The concept sounds like it could be highly questionable- the Capulets and the Montagues immediately following the deaths of Romeo and Juliet- but the cast and crew look amazing. Plus, Shonda Rhimes is one of the executive producers, and by now I'll follow her to pretty much anything. This looks pretty soapy, but isn't that kind of what summertime TV is all about?

The Mist - June 22nd, Spike
Image from IMDb
This isn't the first, or even the second, adaptation of Stephen King's The Mist. And to be honest, I'm not sure anything will be much better than the Thomas Jane version, but there's great TV coming from all kinds of unexpected places lately so I'm not counting this one out. Plus, this is one of my absolute favorite Stephen King stories, one that questions more about who we are as people than it does about whatever monsters are creeping in the dark. At the very least, this will be a heck of a good time.

Orphan Black Season 5 - June 10th, BBC America
Image from IMDB
Ooooh, this bananas show. We have been hooked on this craziness since the very beginning. There probably won't be enough praise for Tatiana Maslany's performance in the history of television. She plays quite frankly a ridiculous number of characters, and she does it so well that you honestly forget that there aren't 12 different actresses onscreen. This is Orphan Black's final season, and I can't wait to see what they have in store for us this year.

Marvel's The Defenders - August 18th, Netflix
Image from IMDb
This is the big one. We're pretty steady Marvel nerds around these parts, and we've loved the Netflix Marvel shows (not you, Iron Fist. Sit down) and boy oh boy are we excited for this team up. We're hoping that in teaming these characters up, Netflix can sidestep some of the structural hiccups each of the individual shows faced. Mostly, we just want to watch these characters more because they're so freaking delightful (not you, Danny Rand. Sit down).

Honorable Mention: Salvation - July 12th, CBS
Okay readers bear with me. There's... very little chance this will be good. If we're being honest, even the logline (asteroid is six months from crashing into Earth) is the kind of thing that makes me roll my eyes forever while I change immediately to a different show. But here's the thing readers... Don't judge us...  Santiago Cabrera is in it, and we are desperately in need of something to fill the Musketeers-sized void in our lives. So I'm probably going to give this one way more of a chance than it deserves. Who knows? Maybe it'll be awesome?

Other summer shows we're stoked for:
Unbreakeable Kimmy Schmidt - May 19th, Netflix
Orange Is The New Black - June 9th, Netflix
Face Off - June 13th, SyFy
Midnight, Texas - July 24th, NBC

Happy Watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts