CT: Supergirl

Readers, I am a day late on my post, but Little C has given me a pass on the punishment because I had a vaguely traumatizing dentist appointment yesterday morning and spent the rest of the day hiding under my bed, watching The Force Awakens. Oh, Poe Dameron. He's the best pilot in the resistance, didn't ya know?

But since Little C has forbidden me from spending any more posts waxing romantic about Mr. Dameron I wanted to talk about something else here today. Something awesome. Something... super.
Image from IMDb
Sorry, won't happen again.

With the sheer multitude of superhero and nerd shows out there today, it's totally impossible to keep up with all of them. So although I was charmed by Supergirl's first few episodes, I quickly fell off of it. A girl can only watch so much TV. Even us.

But I just got into Supergirl again and I have to say, I'm so on board. I think the reason it works so well is that Melissa Benoist is absolutely freaking charming. It's part of the same formula that worked so well for The Flash- it's easy to get into a comic book world if the main character is someone you'd genuinely want to sit down and have coffee with. Kara is down to earth, even when she's hero-ing, and she is as committed to her human life as she is to her hero life.
Image from IMDb
Then you have a great team built around her. While Chyler Leigh will always, always be Lexie Gray in my mind, she's the perfect foil for Benoist and adds the perfect amount of sass to the story. Mehcad Brooks and Jeremy Jordan fill out the team and while I'm only in the first season, Winn is probably one of my favorite sidekick characters of all time.

I know the show has found a home on the CW, and I think that's a fantastic fit. But even in the CBS-run first season, you can see the root of why this show works so well. I'm sad that it's taken me so long to get to the party, but I'm pretty sure I'll be caught up before you know it (thank goodness for hiatus breaks!).

Happy watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts