CT: Gotta Love a Rogue

We all know the characters- the snarky ones, the sarcastic ones, those of questionable morals. The reprobates (i.e. CT's punishment word for being late). The characters that we love to hate, the sorta-assholes that you can't help but be charmed by.

That last bit is incredibly subjective, so I fully anticipate that the rogues that work for me might irritate the ever-loving daylights out of you. Because we're all individuals. And that makes the world a beautiful place.

So let's celebrate our favorite love-to-hate-'ems, shall we?

Michael Cera - Scott Pilgrim
Source
We're going right in for Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. Who's shocked? Anybody? I'll be straight with you readers, I was not on board with this casting when it was announced. How could Michael Cera embody this character well? But I'll tell you what, that Edgar Wright knows what he's doing. The movie version of Scott Pilgrim is so self centered that I should want to wring his neck, but instead I just find myself quoting him multiple, multiple times a day. He's not as nefarious as some of the people on this list, but man oh man is this dude just the perfect low level dick.

Fred Astaire - Holiday Inn
Source
And now for something completely different. I've seen this film at least once a year since I was born and it's one of my lifetime favorites. The part of it that works the best for me is the play between Bing Crosby's super earnest character, and Fred Astaire's completely unrepentant reprobate. He does everything he can to break up Bing and his lady, and he feels zero remorse. He literally says the line, "Brother, that's when I go to work with a clean conscience." Like no biggie. Just gonna break up this relationship because I also like that lady. But he does it with charm and a killer tap number.

Iwan Rheon - Ramsey Snow
Source
This is actually the one that inspired this whole post. Iwan Rheon played a super nice guy one time on Misfits and turned his back on nice guys forever. Like in a dramatic way. Especially on Game of Thrones, where he plays Ramsey Snow. He's psychotic and a reprobate in the more classical sense, like that character's going to hell for sure. Before I gave up on GOT, I got the sense that Rheon was having a really good time playing the character, but daaaaaang were those scenes hard to watch.

Mark Pellegrino - Lucifer
Source
Mark Pellegrino also goes into my file of "Would it actually cause you physical pain to play a nice person?" actors. He does seem to be having a pretty darn good time playing Lucifer on Supernatural, and I gotta say, he's so enjoyable to watch. Went back and forth about this entry though because it feels a bit... heretic-y to put Lucifer on any sort of "favorite reprobates" list. I mean, any sort of "favorites" list at all, really... But for real, Mark. Just like a couple of times. Play like a nice baker or something.

Brendan Fraser - Rick O'Connell 
Source
The best thing about the new version of The Mummy is the returned love that the originals are getting online. Everyone is remembering how amazing and snarky and delightful these movies are. Which is great because they largely were forgotten there for a while (except in our house, where "Guess who's on the wrong side of the RRIIIIIIVVVERRRR" is a totally normal thing to hear). Brendan Fraser plays Rick O'Connell, a criminal/adventurer type reprobate who wins over the charming librarian (Rachel Weisz) through the power of adventure and duh-have-you-seen-him?!?! Seriously, though, these movies are hysterical and neither Fraser nor Oded Fehr have ever achieved this level of charming jerk onscreen ever again.

Guys there are so many of these. So many. Literally my brain started to hurt after I started this list. Because it could go on for so long. You may remember me and Little C's thing about Robin Hood, the original reprobate character. So I know, I KNOW, I'm missing people. Fill them in for me and then let's make a list and have a movie night.

Long live the rogues!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts