Movie Crush Monday: CT & About A Boy

Well, readers, we've all survived another Monday. And kudos to us. So let's celebrate by talking about a movie, eh? We're going to follow Toni Collette over from Cait's pic, Fright Night, to the 2002 drama About A Boy.
Image from IMDb

When I originally saw this movie, I think I was expecting more of a straight comedy. I'd never read any of Nick Hornby's novels, and it seemed like it was being advertised as your average rom-com. So I didn't like it, because I thought it was suuuuuper depressing. And I'm often just straight up judgy when it comes to seeing a movie for the first time (honest talk). 
Image from IMDb

I rewatched About A Boy a couple of years ago and I was struck by how much I liked it. It's sweet and sad and shockingly sincere. I think it's easy to dismiss Hugh Grant in almost anything as the generically likeable asshole, but there's a shocking amount of depth to his character. That's probably the most impressive thing about the film is that these characters aren't just deep, they're complicated. None of them is easy and friendly and simply described. 

Image from IMDb
However, I do think that the standout performance is the young Nicholas Hoult. Over the years he has shown himself to be a really talented actor, but there's no way to know that with a kid as young as he was. He manages the awkwardness of the role without ever coming off as actor-y. He's natural in this difficult role, and it's a great indicator of the career he's built since then. 

Happy watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts