Little C: Good Time to be a LGBT Nerd

Hey there readers, welcome to my slightly late post. I have no more excuses so CT has assigned me the word "incipient" which means emerging or beginning to develop. Which leads in to what I want to talk about today pretty perfectly. You see Comic-con was last weekend in San Diego and like any good nerd who was not able to attend, I tracked the news coming out of the nerd world with rabid attention. I celebrated news for show I do not watch because when it comes to the cons I am totally one of the horde. I'm one of those jerks who would get turned into a zombie because all my friends were doing it and it looked like fun! That might be a slight exaggeration, but only cuz I'm a vegetarian and brains for sure count as eating meat.

I am also, as some of you will know, I proud bisexual. I've been watching the nerd 'sphere for a long time as it carefully lead the way in LGBT representation in media. So this year there were a lot of really cool announcements at SDCC that signal the incipient swell of normalizing LGBT characters in nerdy media. That is not to say that all the news out of San Diego was good *heavily side eyes a certain cast* but the push to include LGBT representation no longer feels like it's a fringe movement. For instance:

Wynonna Earp got picked up for Season 3:

source Buddy TV

Full disclosure, I am so behind on this show so please no spoilers. This is a Syfy series about a woman who is descended from Wyatt Earp and fights demons which means that it falls firmly in the weird venn diagram of things I've liked since I was in the incipient stages of my life. Wynonna's little sister, Waverly, is freaking adorable and also openly gay and in one of the best crafted examples of a lesbian relationship I can think of in any media. So yeah I'm getting caught up and excited for more bad assery with a side of cute girls cuddling next year.

Star Trek Discovery includes openly gay relationship:

source

In a move that would have made Creator Gene Roddenberry very proud, Star Trek Discovery announced that cast members Anthony Rapp (from Rent) and Doug Jones (from... like everything. Mostly I know him from Hellboy and Hocus Pocus). No word yet on if they are playing boyfriends or husbands or what but god damn does this feel like a natural inclusion for a show picking up Star Trek who has been pushing boundaries since their inception. Also this show is getting a comic book series based on it that debuts in 2018. Yes please.

Atomic Blonde:
Source EW

God knows I will be seeing this and giving you guys a bigger heads up on it later, but Charlize Theron was asked why her James Bond-esque character in the movie is Bisexual and she responded with "It's something that I feel is not represented enough in cinema, and I feel that when you make movies, if you're going to hold that mirror up and reflect society then you should reflect society." Well said, Miss Charlize. may this be the incipient stage of women co-opting all the classic boy roles. Next we demand a movie in the vien of Die Hard but starring Ming-Na Wen.

Also John Barrowman (perfect human that he is) celebrated the news that the next doctor is Jodie Whiattker like this:
source



And our favorite Kid Flash (Keiynan Lonsdale) cosplayed Where's Waldo:

source


Those last two weren't really news but I do adore both of those people and they're both in the LGBT community so fuck it, they get in on our celebration post.

Happy Nerding!
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts