Little C: Listener

Hey readers, it's been a long while since either of us did a music write up, and this one can't wait anymore. A few years ago I stumbled onto the band Listener while I was in a big expansion of my music. I was in a phase of attacking a new band every week so while I adored this strange mix of spoken poetry and Explosions in the Sky style musicality they got lost in the shuffle. But I rediscovered them about a month ago and they have hijacked my summer.

source

The vocalist, Dan Smith, manages to take what could be a very flat way of presenting the lyrics and gives them a huge dynamic range and a flow that pulls you into the song. The instrumentation is all guitars and light percussion with occasional trumpet solos. Then in an instant the music will build and turn heavy like a storm hitting. Several of the songs on Wooden Heart start with ambient noises, the sounds of a diner or a beach that help set the scene for the story being told in the song. It's the most interesting presentation of music I've heard in a long time. Yeah, I think it's safe to say I'm not quietly obsessed.

source

I've completely pulled apart Wooden heart and I've added their newest album Time is a Machine into the mix. Highlights of my research thus far include There are Wrecking Balls Inside of Us, Falling in Love with Glaciers, and Good News First. Most of the titles are pulled from the lyrics and they all sounded a little off to me till I heard them in context. Those uber nerds will also want to follow along to Wooden Heart and look up the characters that each song represents. It really adds an extra dimension to the story.

Happy Listening
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts