CT: Playlist For An Awful Week

Readers, I think we can all agree that it's been an awful week. It seems like artists that we all love have gone one after another this week. David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Brian Bedford- all artists that did their work in such a way that it's hard to imagine a world without them. And mourning artists we love is uniquely difficult. I feel weird saying that we are grieving these people, because we didn't really know them. But that's what we feel like- like we're grieving. 

So when we're having a week like this, where nothing seems fair and we both feel stressed and run-down, we tend to watch a very specific set of shows. And since we can't possibly be the only people feeling like this, I thought I'd share our list with you. They're like TV comfort food: not terribly complicated, and things we've watched and watched and watched so we don't have to think too much about them at this point. So here goes: 

Parks And Rec

If you're a regular around these parts you know well how obsessed Little C and I are with this show. So I won't dwell. But I just thought I had to include it since I came home from work yesterday, threw myself down on the couch next to Cait, and pouted (like a professional): "Everything is terrible. Can we watch some Parks?"
And a few episodes later, not much in our lives had changed, except that we both felt good enough to go to bed and start over this morning. 

Leverage 

What is it about this show? It shouldn't be as good as it is. I mean, there's no reason it should be bad- Dean Devlin is a pro, and the cast and writing are both great. But for being an off-season TNT show, there was no way to expect that Cait and I would fall so in love with this team. We've seen every episode enough times to be able to quote them along with the show. It's the ultimate comfort food for us. 

Psych

We might (and this is a huge might) quote Psych in our daily lives more than we quote Scott Pilgrim. Maybe. 
This show is not everyone's cup of tea. They're annoyed by the dialogue, they don't like the premise, etc. For us, it's the opposite. I've been charmed by this freaking show since day one. It's the best thing ever when you need something fun that doesn't require a ton of emotional energy. 

Supernatural

An oldie but a goodie. We might have mentioned before, but this was one of the first shows that Cait and I watched together. It's always going to have a special place in my heart, especially the early seasons, because it was while we watched it together that we first started talking about writing TV as a team. 
This is especially a good one for helping us remember why we chose this crazy path together in the first place. 

To everyone else who's having a tough time of it this week, remember that you're not alone, that losing great artists affects us all, in one way or another. 

Here's to the artists we've lost this week, 
CT

Comments

Popular Posts