Little C: Times They Are a Changin?

Readers, something bizarre is happening in Washington. Both the House and the Senate Democrats have staged protests to the lack of ability to hear and debate gun control legislation. The cynical side of me wants to think that these actions have been publicity stunts, but the representatives have been from Newtown and a civil rights leader. God help me readers, I think they might mean it. Which makes it more frustrating that these grand gestures haven't accomplished anything so far. If you want to find or call your representative this is the website. They all seem to take calls or letters more seriously than tweets or social media. But they all have accounts so you should try those too. I can't tell you what action to urge them to take, but it's always good to remind them who they work for and make sure they're accurately representing you.

OK, off my soap box. The best thing about election years (and some times the only good thing about them) is the sudden surge in political comedy and music. I wish, as I have for the last six months, that Jon Stewart was still on the air. John Oliver and Samantha Bee have been killing it, but damn I miss when the Daily Show made me feel more informed and less crazy.

I had a whole post on the hippie music that I love, but I left out my favorite. The master, Bob Dylan wrote a song in 1963 when the civil rights movement was starting to gain ground. It's over used at times, but I still reach for it when I start to feel the first tremors of real change. The last verse manages to walk this tricky line of being powerful and moving while also being a blank slate that you can project any social or political movement from the last 50 years onto

"The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
And the present now
Will later be past
The order is rapidly fading
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a changin"

So if you are like me and feeling the first distant rumbles of the storm, brace yourselves. Sounds like this one might be a dopey.

Stay cool,
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts