Movie Crush Monday: CT & Gone Girl

Guys, it's so hot in Southern California. Not like, "That Hansel, he's so hot right now," but like a truly ridiculous temperature. It's miserable. It's making the people here miserable and difficult to deal with. It's making me reach a level of grumpiness previously unseen in a human. So let's take a moment to distract ourselves from this horrific temperature and talk about a movie filled with people who are cold as ice. (Gosh that's an awful joke. Forgive me. I blame the heat.)

That's right, this week we're going to follow the adorably named Scoot McNairy from Little C's Movie Crush D.E.B.S. over to David Fincher's terrifying thriller, Gone Girl.

Let me geek out with you all for a moment, because it's rare that I get to spread my film major wings and talk about the technical side of filmmaking. David Fincher is a really good place to do that because he's one of the most technically skilled directors working right now. And what he's really really good at is building tension, which makes him the perfect person (in my mind) to direct the adaptation of Gone Girl for the screen.

Gone Girl is a difficult story, and I mean really, really difficult. It centers around two of the least likeable characters I've ever encountered. I remember reading the book and thinking with each page how awful these two characters are. They're complicated and trying, filled with darkness and ready to do anything to survive. But as little as you'd want anything to do with either of them in real life, you can't really turn away from their story. It's kudos to Gillian Flynn for creating them.

But it's one thing to have a story told by difficult characters when it's on the page, when it's first person and you're inside their head. On a screen is a totally different story. It would have been easy for these characters to come of aloof and crazy and one-sided. But Fincher creates some really incredible power dynamics through both the performances and the way he uses the camera to show you who wants what in each scene. It takes a delicate balance, and Fincher actually makes it look easy.

So that's what I'm watching this week, readers. I'm going to let Rosamund Pike's steely gaze freeze over my heart, because then maybe, just maybe, I'll be cool enough to sleep.

Happy Watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts