CT: Bear McCreary

If you're a regular around these parts, you know that from time to time Little C and I have to take a post to just gush about someone we adore. It's that time again! For our new writing schedule, we watched the Intruders pilot tonight (which is pretty awesome, but we can also see why it didn't go any further, but that's another post altogether), and we saw a name that we are not just familiar with, but that we love deeply. The music for that show was all done by the one and only Bear McCreary.

Little C's exact words were, "Oh, that's why the music was so good!" which pretty much sums up how we feel about Mr. McCreary's work. His resume reads like a list of most of our favorite shows (and movies): Battlestar Galactica, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., 10 Cloverfield Lane, Black Sails, and the list could go on and on. Personally, I think that the music for Outlander is one of the most beautiful scores in the history of television. I'm a gigantic nerd but I really like to put the Outlander score on when I'm writing. It has that beautiful intricacy to it that takes me to the perfect place for our new pilot.

Bear McCreary also keeps a blog at his website, where he shares a bit about what he's been working on and it is absolutely freaking fascinating. I really love the way he describes his work and the way he thinks about his compositions. He talks about the various challenges that his work brings him and goes into a bit of depth about his creative process. I'm not a musician, but it's really incredible resource to see how another artist works.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite pieces of the Outlander score. It's from Season 1 and I think it's probably one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever heard. It stands on its own but like all of Bear's work, it's the way that it fits into the show that really makes it shine. His work amplifies the scene and makes the visuals work that much better.

Happy watching & listening!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts