Little C: Revolution Radio

Readers, as is my habit every election year, I am surviving by listening almost exclusively to politically charged punk rock. Every time the news outlets bring up a story about either nominee I sigh and read it so I can be an informed voter and then I put in my headphones and pound out a Bad Religion song to get the taste out of my mouth. Several of my coworkers who love nothing more than discussing the election in painful detail have noticed that I've started to hum under by breath at work. Most of the time it's NOFX.

But I would be lying if I didn't say that this year had put a small strain on my back catalog. I love punk but I don't specialize in the overtly political stuff because most of the time I don't feel like I need it. So thank God for bands like Green Day that go through the same cycles that I go through. They put out music about everyday life but every other album they veer into a biting commentary that takes punk into the national media discussion.


On October 7th the boys are dropping their 14th studio album and with a title like Revolution Radio it can be assumed that Billie Joe and the boys will be back at it. The song titles like "Too Dumb to Die" and "Troubled Times" make me excited. American Idiot showed that these guys are capable of making music that pushes and help to define our culture. They released audio for the title track as well as the first single Bang Bang, and while I don't think this is going to be a game changing album like AI was, it is going to be a return to the bombastic punk that I fell in love with.


Rolling Stone released the video for Bang Bang (directed by Time Armstrong of Rancid and Op Ivy) and it's frenetic and fun. It's got some classic elements from some old school punk videos with a fun twist. It's the best of all of Green Days instincts, a return to form for a band that has become experts in the delicate art of reinvention. 


There's three weeks and a presidential debate between now and this album coming out. Three weeks of petty bickering and most of my knowledge of the albums of Anti Flag. But there's light at the end of the tunnel. And it's a lovely shade of green...

Happy listening
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts