Movie Crush Monday: CT & The Royal Tenenbaums

So Little C lobbed me a softball this week, because pretty much everyone is in Zoolander in one form or another. Seriously, I could have gone to so many different movies because of all of the cameos in that movie. But when I was poking around both Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson's resumes, I kept coming back to The Royal Tenenbaums.

I have a really special place in my heart for this movie, because it's one of the first movies that affected me because of its filmmaking. My older sister Coco showed it to me when I was in middle school, and to be honest my mom was horrified because she thought I was way too young to see it. And probably I was? But either way, it was one of the first movies where I found myself getting excited about the way it was shot and the way the story was put together visually.

I'm a huge fan of Wes Anderson's visual style, and this film is chock full of his signatures. From the costumes to the muted color scheme to the cinematic style, Anderson creates a unique world with each of his films. Tenenbaums especially falls into this sort of retro, sort of modern place. Wes Anderson is one of those directors where you can see a single frame from one of his films know immediately whose it is. His mark is literally all over the frame.

And that's a good thing, because I love The Royal Tenenbaums but man oh man is it a weird film. Anderson specializes in really, really odd characters. This is literally a movie about a group of former child prodigies who only reunite because their father is faking a terminal illness. And we haven't even gotten into their pet hawk, Mordecai. You have a world class group of actors playing super unique characters and getting to flex their acting muscles. Luke Wilson's performance in particular is probably the best of his career in my opinion. It's funny and tragic and poignant.

And all of that just looks fantastic because Wes Anderson is directing it. I die every time.

Happy Watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts