CT: Full On Fangirl

As a good friend said a long time ago, there comes a time in every person's life when they must embrace their inner nerd. That time happens on the daily around these parts. We love what we love, and we're not quiet about it.

But what we're here to talk about today is the fine line between the things we love and the things that send us into full blown fangirl mode. Because while it might seem like Little C and I are willing to lose it over the littlest nerdy thing, there's a palpable difference for us. And you never know exactly where one of those things is going to come from, but when they hit it's like a post-apocalyptic wasteland of feelings at our house.

It's not to say that we don't love a lot of TV and Movie fandoms. As writers, we watch quite a bit of TV to stay up on what's happening in that world, and it usually ends with us finding new shows that we love.

But every once in a while, a show or a movie blows me away. It's usually a slow burn- it's really rare for me to fangirl over something from the first episode. But three or so episodes in, I find myself thinking about the show all the time between episodes. I'm suddenly following a million blogs about the show and reading fan theories and obsessing over my favorite characters. That usually goes on for a week or so before I realize what's happened. I've gone full blown fangirl.

It changes the way I feel about a show forever. Even if it gets cancelled, even if the writing goes remarkably downhill and they ruin all the characters, even if I stop watching altogether. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for that show.

We have a few of these going right now. Riverdale (obviously, from Caitlin's post this week), The Outsiders, Musketeers. I'm obsessed with SHIELD in a deep way. And they'll join the ranks Firefly, Pushing Daisies, Supernatural, The Avengers, Hannibal... That list could get way long real fast, but you get the idea. I'll just be lying here on the floor. A wreck, surrounded by sunken 'ships and dead favorite characters.

Happy Watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts