CT: No Really, The Best Birthday Ever

Guys, I totally missed my blog post last week but it's because I was having the best birthday ever. Ever. I know I wrote a post two years ago about how awesome that birthday was, but this one made that one look like a trip to the grocery store.

It started the night of my actual birthday, last Friday. My sister Coco took me to dinner (sushi, perfect) and then to xXx: The Return of Xander Cage. Our regulars- or anyone who's ever been within shouting distance of me- will already know about my deep, undying love for Vin Diesel. We own every single Fast & Furious movie, the first xXx, and all of the Riddick films. Plus I cry every single time I watch the Iron Giant, because I'm a HUMAN WITH FEELINGS.

Bottom line: xXx was amazing. Of course. It kiiiiinda set up a whole cinematic universe with the ending and let me just say for the record that I am so on board it's ridiculous. I want origin stories for every single character, I want 3-4 team up films, I want it all. I would be front row on opening night for every one of those movies.
More of this please.  Source

I could write a whole post about how great it was, but it was just the start of the weekend. Little C talked a bit about the Frank Turner show we went to on Saturday. It was sooooo good.

First of all, I couldn't have even told you who Arkells were before we got to the concert. In fact, I told Little C it was probably safe to go buy a CD from the merch table outside during their set. But approximately 30 seconds into the first song I was texting her to say "COMEBACKCOMEBACKCOMEBACK" because they killed. They were not only a great opener, getting the crowd riled up for Frank, but I immediately came home and downloaded their albums because they are straight up great.


And then Frank. Oh, Frank. I should have known that a punk show was exactly what I've needed in the current political climate. He started his set with a protest song he wrote about Drumph, one about not giving up but being the "sand in the gears" for the next four years. And then he started my favorite song of his, The Next Storm, and it was so amazingly what I needed to hear that I burst into tears.

The birthday shenanigans went on for pretty much the whole of last week. A dear friend came in from NY to celebrate HER birthday and we got to celebrate together. We also went to see Resident Evil and I continued my deep love for Ali Larter (American Outlaws 4 LYFE, y'all). I got love from all of the many amazing people in my life. But mostly I want to leave you with some of the lyrics from that Frank Turner song I love so much. It gives me hope and makes me want to keep fighting, which is important when it feels like everything is upside down and the bad guys are moments away from winning:

We had a difficult winter
We had a rough few months
When the storms came in off the coast 
It felt like they broke everything on us at once

But I don't want to spend the whole of my life indoors
Laying low, waiting on the next storm
No I don't want to spend the whole of my life inside
I want to step out and face the sunshine

Be kind to each other, 
CT

Comments

Popular Posts