Movie Crush Monday: CT & Ruby Sparks

Here's the thing about Antonio Banderas. I knew immediately when Little C chose Evita as her Movie Crush that I would be writing about one of his films. He just does such a wide array of projects and takes such a variety of roles- I knew I would find one of his films that I loved dearly. And I was right! There are so many to choose from. But I'd actually forgotten altogether that he was in one of my favorite movies from a few years ago, Ruby Sparks:
Source
 As a writer, who hasn't dreamed about writing a character that comes to life? We don't do much besides imagine up people- every detail about them from the color of their eyes to the way they laugh. We spend so much time carefully crafting these people that I think it's natural to want them to come to life.

That's the heart of Ruby Sparks. Paul Dano (genius, marry me) plays a writer who dreams up this wonderful character, only to have her appear in his life as a real woman (the adorable Zoe Kazan). It's a super charming story about love and creativity and the ways relationships function.
Source

BUT, I think that to leave Ruby Sparks to that summary is unfair. The movie is also about being a writer who feels immense pressure to create something new. Dano's portrayal of Calvin is almost hard for me to watch, to be honest. It hits a little close to home- I think every writer has struggled with their past work the way he does.

Source
It's a movie also about how we love as humans, and how we expect to be loved. Calvin creates Ruby as someone he thinks will fall in love with him, but because he has complete control over her (as her author), that love will never be what he really wants. We humans aren't great at relating to one another. Another person will never quite be what we think they will. We can't ever really be inside one another's minds and that's part of the beauty of relationships.

Anywhoo, Ruby Sparks is one of those films that just charms you from start to finish. The cast is great, and it's such a beautifully told story. Close to home or no...

Happy Watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts