CT: The Difference A Year Makes

Ok readers, I've been thinking about this post for a long time. Months actually. And it's probably still not going to be coherent but let's just roll with it and go on this adventure together eh? 

So let's go back to a year ago. Actually, no, let's go back a little further, to about a year and three months. I was working in a full-time job as an assistant at a kid's network. It was a good job- challenging and full of amazing people and interesting project. But even with all of that, I was really, really unhappy. Little C and I were writing our faces off, working on School Spirits and our webseries and a zillion other projects. But with the demands of my day job, I wasn't able to really focus on our writing in the way the writing deserved. And with the amount of time I was spending writing, I wasn't able to focus on my day job the way that deserved. 

So, I took a leap. I sat down with my boss and explained all of the many things I was feeling and told her it was time for me to move on. I would stay for the summer and help with the transition, and then I would walk away. She was unbelievably supportive, and I'll never forget how much her support meant. Because I was freaking terrified

So exactly a year ago, I packed up my office, said goodbye to the amazing people I worked with, and jumped into the unknown. 

In the year since, I can't tell you how much things have changed for me (and for Little C). We wrote and produced a webseries that is so close to being ready for release that I can practically taste it. Our first screenplay, School Spirits, was produced this summer with an amazing cast and crew of creative talent. We have a pilot that we adore and another in the works. 

More than anything, I write pretty much every day, without ever feeling guilty, like I'm supposed to be doing something else. I am a Writer. Capital W. Full stop. And I get to embrace that artist side of me every single day. It makes me feel all of the feelings. Every once in a while, like today when we spend the entire morning working with our editor on Prove It!, the sheer amazingness of my life hits me and I'm completely bowled over. We aren't even "on the verge" of our dream anymore. We're living it. And the more time that passes the closer we are to the Big Dreams part of things. Which is, as the kids say, everything

So that's where I am today. Celebrating a single act of bravery a year ago that has catapulted me into a life I literally used to dream about. Writer. Artist. Part of an incredible creative community that blows my mind every day. Extraordinarily blessed and just as thankful. 

Much love, 
CT


Comments

Popular Posts