Little C: Nothing Like A Girl With A Guitar

Yesterday was magical, readers. A friend of mine and I went to see Joan Jett and the Blackhearts and Heart in concert. Cheap Trick were also there but if we're honest that's not why I went. It was a full two hours of some powerful women pounding out hard rock while my face slowly melted off my body... For longer than I've been alive these women have been putting out some of the best hard/punk rock the world has seen and I just sat there and soaked it in all the while thinking that I still want to be these ladies when I grow up.


I am of course biased, in that I am a girl and I play guitar, but there's something about watching a lady lay into a sweet solo, or stomp her way through a two minute punk song that makes me feel alive. We both love to hear some good rock and roll, female style. Christy told you about her obsession with Whitney Monge, I've ranted about how much we all need to appreciate Sister Rosetta Tharpe. I may have even named my cat after a kick ass punk chick... 

They share a love of black stripes and a disdain for most people

We don't tend to nerd out about chicks who rock as much on this blog as we tend to focus instead on scifi and superheroes (both worthy of attention). We don't focus on music as much and when we do we tailor a post to a specific band or artist. But today I am all about anything with a strong riff being pounded out by a talented sister. Today I am riding high and nursing a voice that was lost to screaming the chorus of Cherry Bomb at the top of my lungs. Today I angrily clicked through my Spotify for twenty minutes until I figured out that I was dissatisfied because it was mostly dudes. 

Give me Tegan and Sara, or Against Me! to give me a good punk rock fix. Or Joni Mitchell and Joan Baez for when I want to be a hippie and fight the system. Let me pump up The Bangles and bounce around like an idiot or put on some PJ Harvey and brood like a damn champion. Give me talented girl musicians that I haven't heard yet and let me discover a new love for the complicated and sometimes unpretty harmonic realization of the female experience. 


Seriously though, I'm in a phase and if you have good girl-fronted music hit me up. 

Happy Listening,
Little C


Comments

Popular Posts