Little C: Summer is Coming to a Close

Readers, as I drove into work today I passed a group of teenagers as they left one of their first days of school wearing backpacks and surly expressions. The nights in southern California have gotten colder  and we are finally reaching the time of the year when movies get somber or scary and television stops being just reruns. Summer is ending.

Like most people, once I got out of college, summer sort of lost its appeal. My chances of getting to spend an entire week in July laying in the grass at a park reading dropped to about 0 and the magic was gone. These days, I'm much less excited for summer than I am for fall. It means that the weather in LA will go back to a reasonable temperature, and all the apple and pumpkin flavored things you could imagine will come back to the store. It also means that Universal has lifted its black out dates for season pass holders (which we became as soon as Harry-Potter-topia opened its gates) so if you can't find CT or myself at some point in the next three months, make sure to check at Hogsmeade.

Don't let the fake snow fool you, it's 77 degrees and sunny

I'm in an unusually jovial mood, readers. Nothing particularly special has happened today. I mean I found a pen I thought I'd lost (insert Christy's witty rejoinder about how I overvalue my pens here) but honestly it's the season changing. The smell of fallen leaves, the change in the light, that slight crispness to the air... except that these things exist only in my mind. It's still 100 degrees here and southern California laughs at all the places that believe in "seasons". I would bitch about it more but honestly I'm deeply in love with this city and it's staunch refusal to stop looking like a damn postcard all the time. And it fits that this city that pretends to be so many other things has taught me how to pretend that I'm enjoying a new season. 


I guess what I'm saying is that fall is a state of mind. I feel about fall the way most people feel about the Holidays. I love the feel of it, and I can conjure up an autumnal feeling in my head and project it onto the world around me. I think I may have to stop by the store on the way home and grab some apple cider. 

Stay chill!
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts