Little C: The Truth Is Out There

Hello readers!

Full confession time, before sitting down to write this post CT and I went to Chili's with our roommate and I had a small meltdown about how I didn't have anything to write about and then I had two margaritas. Turns out tequila can help supplement creativity in a pinch, because the answer came to me in a blinding flash of white light (brain freeze) after which I felt like I lost time (to the brain freeze).


For the new system that CT and I are working on (see last Friday's post) we are watching two pilots every week and for the inaugural week CT and I picked Man in the High Castle and The X Files. I haven't gotten to Man in the High Castle yet but we sat down the other day and rewatched the pilot of X Files. It was a little different than I remembered it being, but it was still pretty phenomenal. 


CT and I were struck by one thing almost instantly, when this show went on the air there wasn't a high demand for scifi television. There literally wasn't anything like this on TV at the time. And instead of making a show that was very easy to follow and dumbed down, Chris Carter dropped his audience into the deep end of the pool and relied on the strength of his characters and the compelling nature of his mystery to hold the viewers and bring them back the next week. Picking up this show was a huge risk and there was really no guarantee that it would not only pay off but create a demand for a whole new genre of TV. 

And introduce us all to Gillian Anderson

It's not a perfect pilot. Mulder is kind of a dick because they hadn't found the balance between charm and condescension yet. Scully is a little bit of a killjoy. The case is very vague and they hadn't introduced the major story arc with the cigarette smoking man yet. But it's a really solid pilot that made me want to rewatch the whole show. 

Alright guys, I gotta get some sleep and the margaritas are kicking in. 
Happy watching,
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts