CT: Almost Midnight Special

Hello readers and happy Friday! 

As I write this, Little C and I are in a theater getting ready to finally see Midnight Special. You'll note that we are not seeing Batman and Superman Ruin Everything, because quite frankly we don't want to. Yes, eventually we may wind up seeing it but we're going to hold out as long as possible. Besides, Midnight Special is basically a superhero movie- it's just one told from a unique and actually interesting lens. Not that we don't all love seeing Bruce Wayne's parents get gunned down in every freaking movie that character appears in. 

I'll be honest, I've felt pretty burnt out on the superhero movies lately. It's a hard place to be, because I am a huge comic book nerd and these movies should be my happy place. But somewhere between trying to keep up with all the Marvel and DC TV shows, all the new comics and graphic novels, and the moves has been almost exhausting. Please don't get me wrong, I love all of this media so much. 

It's more that there has been such an influx of superhero content lately that it feels overwhelming. And especially with the "gritty" reboots, the whole thing has started to feel negative. Superheroes just aren't as much fun when you feel like they might be the bad guys after all (looking at you, Zach Snyder). 

I'm hoping that Joe Nichols can shake me out of this slump. He has such a gorgeous sense of art and storytelling that I just know ahead of time that Midnight Special is going to be amazing. And then I'll be ready to jump back into Arrow and The Flash, SHIELD, and get onboard for Civil War. I'll be sure and let you know how it goes. 

Happy Friday!
CT





Comments

Popular Posts