Little C: Trailer Time

CT is sitting next to me as I type this, quietly chanting "No pressure." Which is maybe why I've been struggling so hard to pick a topic. But as I surfed though a few websites, trolling for something to write about, I found an article about the trailer for Doctor Strange, and I knew.

In this age of media saturation, dear readers, we get new trailers for everything. Movies, TV shows, video games. I saw a trailer for the latest James Patterson novel. I'm going to focus on movie trailers for this post so I don't drive myself crazy. You can really get a feel for a how a movie is going to turn out by the first trailer it releases. For instance the first trailer for Batman V Superman Dawn of Melancholy was a moody trainwreck... Just gonna leave that right there.

I tend to separate trailers into three types. The fun ones that make you excited for the movie, the bad ones that make you so sure that the movie is gonna be a piece of crap, and the ones that tell you exactly nothing about what kind of movie you're signing up for. Don't worry kids, I have examples. I always show my work.

As summer fast approaches we are getting a wash of new trailers that are the best of their art form. Since I'm feeling a little bad for ragging on the DC Murder-verse I will start with the latest trailer for Suicide Squad which manages to make me forget exactly 1/2 of the time I spent watching Batfleck pout.


Thank god. I'm so excited for Civil War but everything about it also gives me anxiety. But here we have a fun trailer for a movie that has fully embraced the batshit nature of both it's world and it's characters. The joker is the least fun part of that trailer. Mostly because they're too afraid to show too much of Jared Leto because they're essentially holding that footage hostage as a way to get us into the theater. Touche Warner Brothers. I will see your film. 

Now contrast that trailer with one for the new Ninja Turtles movie. This is a steaming pile of crap is completely without redeeming features... Until Stephen Amell shows up as Casey Jones. 



Let's be clear, I will not sit through this movie for Stephen Amell. I will throw it up on Netflix and fast forward through the scenes when he's not on screen though. But this shows what I mean. I can tell from the trailers that Suicide Squad will be fun and TMNT 2 will make very little sense but include a lot of explosions. 

Then you have the trailers that refuse to give you any sense of what the hell is going on in the movie. I give you: Jason Bourne


I know it's a spy franchise, but there is absolutely 0% of plot in this trailer that we don't already know about from the other movies. Stingy assholes. 

Happy watching. 
Little C



Comments

Popular Posts