Movie Crush Monday: Little C and In Bruges

Readers, it's monday, and my household is out of coffee creamer. I am under-caffinated and as a result I am dragging major ass. I very nearly followed one of the people in Miss Pettigrew to a movie I didn't like just so I could be openly cranky. But you don't deserve that, dear readers. It's not your fault that my lack of caffeine makes me about as much fun to be around as a rabid porcupine, and just as cuddly. You shouldn't suffer because of it. So I'm going to take a break while I run down to 7-11 and grab something that will make this experience pleasenter for all of us.

...

Ok so I wrote that this afternoon and now it's 10:30 at night. Some days it takes longer for me to make the turn to human, what can I say? Anyway back to the post. For days like this when I'm really feeling like a cranky bugger what I need is a comedy that gets me. So I'm following Ciaran Hindes from Miss Pettigrew to In Bruges.


This is a movie about a couple of hit men who get sent to Bruges (It's in Brussels for those of you who are wondering) while their boss fixes things back in Ireland. Colin Ferrell plays Ray, who is just as miserable on his pseudo vacation as I am on days I can't have coffee. He and Ken played by the brilliant Brendan Gleeson spend most of the movie arguing and not sightseeing. Ken is brilliantly put upon and Ray is terminally cranky. 


The movie was written and directed by Martin McDonagh who is such a damn genius. His new play Hangmen is playing at my theater in a couple weeks and I have spent many an hour salivating over the poster in the lobby. His scripts are often filled with profanity but they are funny and weird and perfect in their own cynical way. 


I don't want to go into too many details for fear of spoiling a joke or a plot point, but Ralph Finnes character might be my favorite thing in the entire world. He plays the boss of the two main characters and he is as delightful as he is ruthless. And since he's playing an Irish crime boss, you can go ahead and assume he's pretty fucking vicious. But also he's got this weird childlike quality that makes him a perfect villain. 


So here we are, I'm no longer as cranky as I once was and now I'm feeling like the least angry person in the room. Thanks, In Bruges. You always have my back. 

Happy watching,
Little C

Comments

Popular Posts