Movie Crush Monday: CT & Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day

I'm Readers, I really lucked out this week. Little C wrote about one of our favorites last week (Stardust), and it's chock-filled with our favorite actors. I could have followed almost any of them and found a movie I love. 

But after much consideration, I think it's only right to follow Henry Cavill's handsome jawline over to the true cinematic treat that is Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice. Buckle up, because this movie has so much to discuss, from fascinating characters to interesting plot (gotta love that twist!), to its gorgeous cinematography. 

Okay, okay, just kidding! That movie was a mess. I have to keep you all on your toes somehow, right? 

So instead let's follow dreamboat Mark Strong over to an actual delight of a movie, Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day

When I think about this movie, I almost picture a perfect little cupcake. Or a petit-four. Something fairly simple to look at, but also something rare and delicious. Miss Pettigrew feels like a movie from a different era, a little like the slapstick comedies of the 20's and 30's, just with a more modern sensibility. I fell in love with it immediately and I rewatch it all the freaking time. 

Francis McDormand is really always delightful, and here she makes the perfect surrogate for us, the audience. She gets swept up (literally) from the streets into a world of opulence and ever-more complicated love triangles. She's just as bewildered by all of it as we are, but McDormand's Pettigrew has such a solid sense of self that you're never confused about who she is. And she's never lost amongst the glamour. 

You also have to shout out the rest of this amazing cast. Amy Adams perfectly balances her character's inherent ridiculousness, without ever being really saccharine. CiarĂ¡n Hinds is the perfect gentleman. Lee Pace, Tom Payne, and Mark Strong play Adams' very different competing lovers, and they're each pitch perfect. 

But with so many period films, the real star of the show here is the design. Costumes, sets, props, even the music all work together to create this gorgeous world. I could have written an entire post about Amy Adams' wardrobe throughout the film and how much I would kill for every single piece. 

Like I said, I rewatch this movie allllll the time. It's the ultimate feel-good film. Plus, you get to watch Lee Pace sing, and it's positively swoon worthy.  

Happy Watching!
CT



Comments

Popular Posts