14th Day of (TV) Christmas: Fresh Off The Boat

Confession time, readers. I watch this episode all year round, multiple times a year. Fresh Off The Boat is one of my absolute favorite shows and this is such a fantastic episode. Come with me to the world of "The Real Santa".

Let me just say right off the bat that Jessica Huang (and Constance Wu) is my absolute favorite, ever. I get her on a deep level. Except for Evan Huang (Ian Chen). That child is a young CT in a real way. Their relationship as type-A perfectionists is one of the biggest charms on the show. Jessica's desire to improve Santa by giving him an advanced degree so that he's the best manager is fantastic.


Any sitcom about a family with kids has the temptation to handle the "Is Santa Real?" conversation and so many of them do it poorly. It's usually just an excuse to have the sappy "we're all the spirit of Santa" scene and I'm totally over it. It's WAY more fun to take a super difficult to impress kid and factor that through a mother that's DETERMINED to impress him. And what's more impressive than a female Boss Santa who's also a notary??


Plus Emery and Eddie's storyline about trying to find a gift for their mom is such a perfect image of growing up with siblings around the holidays. I am a crazy, list-making, shopping in September nutjob who's surrounded by folks that shop through the actual holiday season like normal people. It's a stressful situation, readers. Every. Year.

Happy Watching!
CT


Comments

Popular Posts