17th Day of (TV) Christmas: The Office

We're back on schedule, friends! And what TV Christmas episode compilation would be complete without one of The Office's iconic holiday episodes. There are so many to choose from! It honestly took me a while to pick one, since I decided I'd have to rewatch all of the holiday episodes to make a true decision. How can you choose? Moroccan Christmas with Meredith lighting herself on fire? Dwight dressing up as Belsnickel and beating the crap out of Jim? The never-ending snowball fight?

But when it came down to it, I knew what I needed to do. So we're heading to Season Five's holiday episode, "Secret Santa". And here are the moments that I feel like make this episode a favorite for me:
IMDb

Dwight putting his evil scheme to get Jim fired on hold for Christmas. Because seasonal affective disorder gets us all at some point or another. Rainn Wilson is an absolute genius and I will forever watch pretty much anything he does.

Phyllis getting to finally be Santa, and her genius delivery of why the journey to play Santa has meant so much for her. I love Phyllis as a character, and Phyllis Smith's delivery here is totally on point. As a side note, Michael's meltdown about not getting to be Santa, and having Santa played by a woman is hilarious. "When you need my help because I am ruining everything, don't look at me!" is probably my favorite line from the show as a whole. Michael is SUCH a perfect, awful character. He's so cringe-y that it makes it hard to watch sometimes, but foiling him against Phyllis in this episode (and making him lose) is pretty fantastic.

IMDb

Then there's poor, hapless Andy giving Erin the 12 Days of Christmas as his secret Santa gift. It's exactly the kind of grand gesture that he would think is perfect and in reality is terrible for everyone involved.

As a bonus, I love that Dwight's gift turned out not to be a prank. Don't get me wrong, the prank war is a great part of the show but it was honestly an unusually sweet moment that made the episode feel really balanced.

Happy watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts