8th Day of (TV) Christmas: Two Guys, A Girl, And A Pizza Place

Okay so brief storytime: My senior year of college, I was semi-professionally stressed out. Weird, for a film major with very few post-graduation plans, right? Then, after a bit of IMDb stalking Ryan Reynolds, I discovered that some fantastic human had uploaded episodes of Two Guys, A Girl, and A Pizza Place to Youtube. It was just the light, meaningless sitcom that I needed in my life at that moment.

Image from IMDb

The end of the story is that I eventually moved out to LA after graduation to write with Little C. Upon my arrival in California, Little C gifted me a box set of every single episode that she'd gotten from an internship. I was obsessed. I watched my way through the series while I got settled in the city and found my first job. Rewatching this show always reminds me of that time in my life, and dusting off the box set for this post was awesome.

So the setup for "Two Guys, A Girl, and A Christmas Story" is pretty similar to well... all the other episodes (don't knock a formula that works, friends). Berg has to work over Christmas, which bums the hell out of him. Sharon is planning her office holiday party and has to do a stellar job to get the Christmas bonus she wants. Pete falls for a helicopter reporter immediately, despite knowing absolutely nothing about her. This blows up in his face, naturally.

Image from IMDb

The best part of the whole thing is when he declares that kissing someone he barely knows is "totally unlike him". Come on, Pete. The whole show is about you jumping headfirst into relationships that you have no ability to maintain.

In rewatching, I'm struck by how much Ryan Reynolds has always been an absolute delight. His comedic timing is brilliant and he manages to get these great moments of depth into his character. There's a reason his career launched in the way that it did. He steals every scene and to be honest, I don't even mind.

Special shout out to a fantastic performance by a BABY Michael Welch as Pete's girlfriend's surprise son. He made such an impression that I went to look him up and it was a nice surprise to see an actor that went on to have a pretty full career.

Happy watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts