1st Day of (TV) Christmas: Parks & Rec

Readers, welcome to December and our first ever 24 Days of (TV) Christmas. I love this time of year, I love cheesey holiday-themed TV episodes, and I'm very, very excited for this.

We're starting with Parks & Rec, a show that owns my heart. There's a few different Parks & Rec holiday episodes, but by far my favorite is "Citizen Knope". Leslie is suspended from the Parks Department and has to find a way to keep herself busy- a struggle that I know all too well. I'm not someone who slows down super well as evidenced by the fact that 12 minutes into every vacation I'm climbing the walls and pitching new scripts to Little C.

Image from IMDb

Hands down the best part of this whole episode is the deeply personal, perfect gifts that she grants to everyone in her office. Especially the button for Ron that slams all the doors to his office. That is one of those perfect visual jokes that P&R does so incredibly well.



 It's also so touching to watch everyone in the office try and meet her gifting abilities. And seeing them come together as her campaign team is just the kind of perfect holiday sweetness without being over the top.


Image from IMDb

"Citizen Knope" also starts the run of Ben looking for a job in the private sector, and him continuously turning down the accounting firm. I have a deep weakness for Jean-Ralphio and I will always love his episodes, but the idea of take life advice from him makes me suuuuper worried for Ben. But the closer scene between Ben Schwartz and John Balma in the accounting firm is A+ work from all involved.

And since Mike Schur is apparently obsessed with Jason Mantzoukas, we get a nice little cameo of him as the "love-to-hate-him" Dennis Feinstein.

Image Source

This, to me, is one of the best ways for a show to handle a Christmas episode. It's not too-too cheesey, and it works with the themes of friendship and love and gifts without derailing the season arc.10/10 for some prime Jean-Ralphio.

Happy Watching!
CT

Comments

Popular Posts